Tuesday, June 21, 2005

First Appointment

We had our first appointment with the midwife today. We finally did the math, calculating my average 30 day cycle and we have an official due date of February 6, 2006. I will have to be 16 days late if I'm to hit my mom's envisioned due date of February 22. Who can really tell how it will all play out...

One thing we think we know for sure is that we will have a home birth! I asked about my blood type and all that who-haw and it realy isn't a problem. After birth the Midwife will take a sample of the baby's cord blood and take it to the hospital to get tested. If the babies blood is positive, then she will come back with the shot of RoGam I need. I have 72 hours after giving birth to take the RoGam, so it really isn't the emergency we once thought it to be. As for other unforseen complications that may arise, the Midwife will be there to monitor me and make a decision to bring me to a hospital if that is what's needed. Only 6% of home births result in a C-Section, as compared to 11% of hospital birth's with midwives attending and 25% of hospital births with GP's or OB's. You loose your voice as soon as you hit a hospital and there have been many studies done showing that C-Sections are done far too quickly and uneccessarily.

Anyways, we like our Midwife team, they all seem very nice and are full of information. Their office is comfortable and relaxing unlike a sterile doctor's office and for these reasons alone it's worth it for me. I always get so worked up when I go to a doctor's office or a hospital, like I can't breathe properly.

7 weeks and still nautious. Can only seem to eat very bland plain foods, and even then it's tough sometimes. Still trying to stay positive while I train for the full time Rentals Position I am covering for the month of July. I feel like I spend most of my energy these days just trying to get through work without looking or acting like I'm sick. 5 more weeks to go...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds exciting to have your baby at home. I don't regret having you in a hospital because of the complications, but a home birth would have been more relaxing. I love how positive you feel about it all, and I feel better about the blood worry, I feel more educated too.

Sorry you are naseous, it must suck. I guess it doesn't really matter how your mothers pregnancies were, what happens to each daughter will be completely independant to what I was like. Of course, it has been a few years, and I can't remember completely how I felt with each pregnancy, so maybe my memory is selective.

See you soon.

Love to you both.
Mom

June 22, 2005 2:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For pregnancy updates, please visit http://www.pregnancyclue.com

December 29, 2005 12:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home