Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Just to Clarify...

My good friend Jess called me last night to make sure I was doing okay. I told her I'm feeling just fine to which she seemed a little shocked. Then she told me that she had been thinking this whole time that I had been laying in bed having contractions and suffering intense amounts of pain. Being that all she really knows of being pregnant and labour is from films where women are screaming bloody murder, she just naturally assumed that every contraction must be extremly painful. Fair enough really and totally something I never really thought about. So just to clarify...

I am not in pain. I am uncomfortable at times being that I am laying around all day. My hips hurt and my back aches. When I have a contraction it feels a little intense but it doesn't hurt...yet! Yes contractions do eventually hurt, but for now the most amount of pain I feel is mild period like cramps. Now I have never really thought too hard about trying to explain what a contraction feels like, but I'll give it a try. You know when you look at something like blood or a really bad cut and you get this feeling that wells up from inside you and makes you sort of tingly and light headed. Well I feel like that first and then everything below my ribs and above my pelvis feels like it expands and then tightens into a hard lump. This usually lasts for about 1 minute and then either drops off suddenly or slowly releases. I often get the most amount of contractions when I move around and so when they happen I just need to stop everything and wait it out. Being on bedrest is suppossed to take pressure off my pelvis which is where the baby's head is resting right now. I often get sharp shooting pains thru my pelvis wall when the baby moves around too much, but the pain is really quite mild. Again I just need to stop what I'm doing and wait it out.

I hope that helps clear up any thoughts of me lying around for 10 days in excrutiating pain, cause that is absolutely not the case. In fact I feel pretty good, which is what makes lying around all day a bit frustrating. When you are sick you want nothing more than to lay around doing nothing, but I'm not sick, I'm just pregnant, and I still feel very capable of doing all the things that I watch my family doing all around me. And it's also very frustrating trying to not go into labour when I have spent my entire pregnancy learning how to do just that. But after Sunday at midnight, I can let my body do exactly what it wishes...
See, everything is just fine...

3 Comments:

Blogger Corinne said...

Totally, TOTALLY love the smiling belly!!! :) Glad you're not in too much pain... keep us posted!

January 12, 2006 8:02 AM  
Blogger Avorie said...

I'm glad you're not suffering! I wondered about the hip and back pain that you must be feeling.

January 12, 2006 9:28 AM  
Blogger Corinne said...

No post since Tuesday!? Everything okay? Is the baby here?! Hope all is well w/ you and baby... let us know what's going on!

January 13, 2006 10:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home