Thursday, January 05, 2006

Full on Bed Rest

I was laying on the bed today when I started to notice that I was having regular contractions. I grabbed my watch and started keeping track. Sure enough I was getting a minute long contraction every 5 minutes. I recorded them for about an hour before I called Devinder in to call the midwife and we were off to the clinic, hospital overnight bag in hand, just in case. After checking my cervix I am luckily still just 1cm dilated, but the baby has dropped even lower into my pelvis. I left some of my blood and urine at the lab which will help in ruling out anything such as a urinary track infection which can sometimes mask early labour. We have been sent home and I am no longer on modified bed rest but full on bed rest. I had dinner in bed tonight, how fancy! The only thing I am allowed to get up for is to pee and to have a bath as bathing can often slow labour down. Hopefully I can keep the baby in there another 11 days so we can still have a home birth. If we go into labour prior to me being 37 weeks we will have to deliver the baby in Nanaimo, 1 hour south of here as the hospital in town does not deliver premature babies.

So yes, we may get to meet our baby WAY sooner than planned. I am not excited about this. I would way rather the little bambino stayed in there a little longer. And it's slighty confusing trying not to go into labour when I have spent the better part of the last 8 months learning all about how to labour quickly and pain free and all that. I have been learning to listen to my body and now I have to try to not let it do what it really wants to do.

6 Comments:

Blogger Corinne said...

Wow... take it easy girl. Sounds like your midwife knows what she's doing though, which is always very comforting. :) So take it easy, and keep me posted on what's going on.

January 06, 2006 4:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eeek! Oh, good luck. Keep the blogosphere updated too, if you can. We're rooting for you and the best health possible for the little one.

January 06, 2006 5:38 AM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Mike and I are thinking about you and hoping for the best for you and the little one! Take care :)

January 06, 2006 7:00 AM  
Blogger lagiulia said...

First of all, you probably already know this, but your baby has an excellent chance of having little to no complications even if he or she arrives today. I never saw any baby during all my time in the NICU born 35 weeks or more who had to stay for more than a few days. Second, even if your baby did have to be in the NICU for a while as mine did, chances are so teensy weensy that anything serious or lasting would be the cause. Third, I was on full bedrest for 6 weeks. If you can have your husband with you, that's ideal (I couldn't) Otherwise, the things that I found most helpful were keeping food in a refrig or cooler near the bed; keeping a microwave or toaster oven in the bedroom; having people come over (give them spare keys to your front door); and talking on the phone to keep my spirits up. Sounds like the more you can be horizontal the better. You may know this, but just don't take a bath if you think your water may have broken, as that can make it harder to tell. I know it's scary, but you will do just fine. From what I've seen, you are a strong woman with a trememdous amount of spirit and passion, and you will guide this lucky baby into the world with flying colors, no matter when that baby insists on making its grand entrance. It's easy to be scared, but remember to be excited too. You're going to meet your little one soon!

January 06, 2006 8:42 AM  
Blogger Avorie said...

Wow... Good luck keeping your little one inside and keep us updated!

January 06, 2006 9:28 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

thanks for the update. thinking of you and wishing you a safe and happy birth of your choice. either way they say once you actually have the baby in your arms it doesn't matter too much how it got there. thinking of you.

January 06, 2006 9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home