Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Waiting...

A lot of people have asked me what it's like waiting for this baby to be born. I have to say, it's pretty funny. We are constantly looking for signs of labour, so much so that I feel like we may be making up signs at times. Like everytime I go pee I think to myself "Is that just pee, or did my water break?" Then there's the nesting urge which is a common sign that labour is about to begin. So I find myself constantly questioning whether I am nesting more or less everyday, cause we are still moving in and unpacking so really, every day is a nesting day. But maybe today I nested more than usual?? And they also say that your baby will stop moving just before labour begins. Well yesturday I was rather alarmed cause I just didn't feel my baby all that much. But then just as a lay down in bed it started moving same as usual, but maybe it was moving less than normal? See what I mean, it's very funny! And then there is still the thought that we actually control when this baby arrives. For the most part we would love for our baby to already be here, but then we joke that if it stays in a little longer we'll get to do a bit more to the house, and Devinder can get a few more bike rides in and maybe we could have a few more dates and watch a few more episodes of Battlestar Galactica. So I have not been drinking raspberry leaf tea, even though I have some and it calls to me from the cupboard "Marussia, you know you want me, come on, surely just one cup won't bring on labour..." But maybe it would. We don't have sex either, cause apparantly there is a hormone in sperm which can soften and ripen that cervix of mine and bring on labour. It does seem a little strange to do it now anyways with that head so damn low, even though I kind of like the thought that the same way the baby got in there could be just the ticket to getting out. So the waiting is funny, it makes me laugh and for now it's not too crazy, but I could see it starting to drive me mad. I feel like we are in limbo, like I've stopped being pregnant and am literally just waiting, waiting, waiting...

6 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

Waiting totally messes with our heads! I feel like a kid waiting for christmas, or on a very long car trip for summer vacation..."Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?"

I hope you & Devinder get a chance to enjoy these last few quiet days together!

January 25, 2006 2:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! It's Lisa.
We had fun at the shower and really enjoyed meeting your family.
My guess for the Baby pool is Sunday January 29th. Chinese New Year. Year of The Dog. That way your baby and Kona really will be siblings. Call us anytime. We'd love to hang out. Games, dinner, whatever...
Good luck with labour. I want to hear all about it. That way I'll be ready when my time comes.

January 25, 2006 4:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heeheehee! I know how you feel! Every time I have a contraction, I analyze "did that start high or low? did it move through my back? high enough that it might be labor? did it stop as soon as I stood up? was it just done, or does that mean it was a braxton-hicks?"

Only I am doing everything I can think of to try to encourage Smudge to come on down. I am so uncomfortable, I just can't imagine how I'm going to make it another 9 days to my due date, or longer.

We ate chili for dinner yesterday, Mexican with lots of cumin today, and I'm working on convincing Jill to take me to the eggplant parm restaurant that the Addition Probs girls mentioned the other day. We're only ~45 minutes away.... Maybe I'll go make some raspberry leaf tea.

January 25, 2006 9:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can totally picture you and devinder beeng goofballs:

"Shh! Hear that?"

"What?"

"I think I just heard the baby!"


Sandy

January 26, 2006 4:51 PM  
Blogger lagiulia said...

Sounds like you're doing really great! The days leading up to birth are surreal, aren't they? Thinking of you and yours during this exciting and anxious time!

January 26, 2006 7:02 PM  
Blogger Avorie said...

Like you, I can't believe that we were put on bedrest and now that we're back to our regular activities, nothing is happening! Our babies must be on strike.

At least we're all in the same boat.

January 27, 2006 11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home