Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Braxton Hicks

I had read about Braxton Hicks contractions, but I didn't fully understand them until our yoga instructor explained them to us last night. Throughout the day my whole entire belly will get really hard and feel very heavy. I never really worried about it because it never hurt and honsetly, I just thought it must be the baby moving to the lower part of my belly. Whenever you hear the word "contractions" you instantly think "labour." I never knew that you actually start having contractions at about 20 weeks and all the way til the end of your pregnancy. It's your body's way of toning and strengthening the uterin muscles you will eventually use to push the baby out. It's cool that I know what they are now so I will recognize them when I am in labour and there is no need to worry about them until they start hurting, which of course is a sign that you have started labour, so hopefully not for another 13 weeks or so for me!

2 Comments:

Blogger Corinne said...

Holy Smokes! The belly! :) So Braxton Hicks eh? Maybe that's why my belly kinda hurts at the end of the day?! I'm dying to find a yoga class around here that I don't have to drive an hour to get to. Hopefully I'll find one soon.. :)

November 03, 2005 7:46 AM  
Blogger Avorie said...

Wow, that's really cool to know. My belly will sometimes get really hard and I thought it was the baby's back pressing against it and then moving away. Maybe they are just Braxton Hicks? I wonder if 25 weeks too early to have them?

November 10, 2005 8:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home