Sunday, November 27, 2005

Yep, things are good...

My girlfriends are so lovely, it's so sad sometimes to think that I am leaving them. On Thursday I walked into what was supposed to be a casual afternoon tea at my friend Lynnette's place. Instead I was greeted by a room full of my best friends, streamers and balloons above their heads in both pink and blue with slogans like "Welcome Baby" and "Happy Baby Shower." How very thoughtful and touching, I am still giddy just thinking about it 3 days later. It was great fun talking about babies non-stop and the baby carseat they all went in on is exactly what Devinder and I needed.

We had our midwife appointment on Friday and all is well. I have gained 15 pounds so far and seem to be measuring okay. Devinder's mom came to the appointment just as my mom came a few weeks back. She said it really helped put her mind at ease with the whole home birth thing and she was able to have a lot of questions answered. We really love our new midwives here in the Comox Valley. We didn't really know that we didn't really like our midwives in Vancouver until we met these ladies. In Vancouver all we had to compare our midwives to were doctors and we knew we liked them better than my silly doctor. When we came over for our very first midwife appointment after we bought our house here, it was obvious right away how much better the Comox Valley Midwives are. I had talked on the phone with them briefly to set up an appointment and they remembered our names and everything we had briefly discussed on the phone a few weeks prior to our appointment. The midwives in Vancouver never did learn our name. Every time we came in for an appointment we had to introduce ourselves all over again. Also the Comox Valley Midwives take more time during our appointments and have really made a big effort to get to know us really well. We even know quite a bit about them and it really makes all the difference. At our Friday appointment we went over our birth plan and I think Devinder and I have decided to have our baby in the bathtub instead of dragging in an inflatable pool. It just seems a lot simpler and tidier and more practical. As well, something we learned at the shower from Pat whose daughter Jenny had a home waterbirth, is that with an inflatable pool it's a lot more work. Jenny and her husband Yorg really wanted it to be just the two of them for their first water birth, but they ended up calling in her aunt at the last minute because Jenny wanted Yorg by her side throughout labour, not constantly refilling the water and checking the temperature etc... Devinder and I thought briefly about who that third person could be, but still in our minds we really just saw it being the two of us. I think the bathub will allow us to have a more calm and relaxing birth, just the two of us there to greet our new baby...

Here is a funny picture of my sister and I in a sauna on a float for the Santa Claus Parade here in Courtenay on Saturday. She works for a health centre and they sell Saunas and since we all know parades are really about advertising, they loaded up one of their saunas and paraded it and us around town. Two pregnant bathing beauties...

1 Comments:

Blogger Avorie said...

A surprise baby shower! How fun.

Mine will be about a month before baby is scheduled to arrive.

November 27, 2005 2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home